Getting an error when trying to change password

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Hi,

I installed the website on IIS7.5 (server 2008R2) and it loads fine. I followed the instructions in the documentation and also installed an SSL certificate.

When I try to change a password, I get the following error message:
"The password change operation failed with the following message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I tested to see if it at least recognized the username by entering a bogus user. It then says that the user principal was not found. So it seems that it does indeed find the user.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Iwan
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Hi,

Looking closer, this might be an AD rights issue. When I run the application pool under the "ApplicationPoolIdentity", I get the error message "An operations error occurred". When I run the app pool with an AD user, I get the message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation".

It might be fixed by running the app pool with a user that has the privilege to change passwords in AD. But this seem like a potential vulnerability.

Any help would be appreciated.

Iwan
Sep 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Never mind. I found the problem in the Issues section on this site. It seems someone had modified the test account I was using and enabled the "User cannot change password" option.

Thanks for creating this tool. It really helps!!!

Iwan